We were asked to film a preliminary task to give us a feel for filming out opening sequence. The task had to abide by the 180 degree rule, match on action and include an over the shoulder shot in order to be successful. Here’s what they mean:
The 180 Degree Rule;
According to the source “http://ccnmtl.columbia.edu/projects/filmglossary/web/terms/180-degree_rule.html” the 180 degree rule is where the keeps on one side of the action through filming/shooting and editing. The camera has to stay on one side of the action, almost like there is an imaginary line of 180 degrees that the camera is not allowed to pass. This orientates the audience allowing them to view each character all the time. It also makes the sequence a lot clearer as the character stays on one side of the action at any given time, so the audience cannot get confused as to where the camera is. The rule also makes it easier for the director as the sequence can be edited as the filming is smooth.
Match on Action;
This source is from “http://www.slideshare.net/joe940/match-on-action-180-rule-shot-reverse-shot”
Over the Shoulder Shot;
According to the source “http://www.mediacollege.com/video/shots/over-shoulder.html” an over the shoulder shot is where the frame of the shot is behind the character who is interacting with someone else, and you can usually see one third of the characters back. This helps the audience to see the positioning of each character and can see the point of view of the character with their back to the camera. This allows the director to edit cuts during the conversation to switch the positioning of the characters in the sequence.
Here is our Preliminary Task;
Evaluation and Feedback;
Our preliminary task was to just film someone walking into a room and exchanging dialogue with someone else using the various techniques i listed above. The task is very basic, set at school in a classroom with no back ground music or any other sound apart from the content in the task. We filmed the task on an iphone 5C, which goes to show as the picture is clear, however the dialogue is not exactly as loud as it could have been had we used another microphone device or even recorded the dialogue first then edited it into the piece later on. The task was edited on an Apple Mac using Final Cut Pro. I think we managed to used all of the techniques needed to make this a preliminary task, however they could have been shown more clearly had the piece been longer.